Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Freedom

A few years back someone asked me if there was anything I was passionate about ... any cause that I felt really strongly about? I thought about it a bit ... there wasn't any single thing at the time that I felt like lashing out and ranting about ... at the time I pretty much kept my thoughts to myself and did my political talking at the polls ...

I stopped and I thought for a moment ... and yes ... there was something that I believed in strongly ... Freedom.

Freedom in all things, for all people.

The only exception being any act of force or fraud that would deprive another individual of their right to life or liberty.

If I want to cut deep gouges in my face I should be free to do so ... now, mind you, I don't believe that there should be any law that says that a company has to give me a job, or that they can't fire me if I choose to do this after they hire me. Loosing my job and being unable to get a new one because of a choice that *I* make is a consequence of the choice, and it's not the government's responsibility to protect me from my own stupidity.

So what *IS* the responsibility of government? The security and protection of the nation, and to ensure fair and equal treatment under the law of all people regardless of race, creed, or gender.

It's not the governments's responsibility to make sure that you have a job, it's not their responsibility to make sure that you have health care, it's not their responsibility to make sure that you're happy. Those things are your responsibility, and if you fail in them it is through no one's fault but your own.

No comments: