Thursday, September 01, 2005

Hurricanes and Greedy Americans

I’m sure that you’ve all heard about Hurricane Katrina by now … heard of the devastation that it caused and the after effects that still continue to cause problems. Many of you also know that I went through Hurricane Andrew in South Miami in 1992, so I am acutely aware of the damage that a Hurricane can cause in an area and the needs that the people in such areas have.

I’m not here to give you news of the hurricane or it’s aftermath … there are plenty of news sources for that, and I’m not going to beg you for donations to help the relief effort or seek sympathy for the survivors or those that lost family members or lay blame for the hurricane.

I am here to talk about that whole ‘blame game’ though … as if anyone is to blame for a hurricane. I’ve heard various accusations in the wake of Katrina … that the hurricane hit because we have so many of our troops in Iraq that they weren’t here to do something about it (just what they were supposed to do I have no idea) … that it was the judgment of Allah (who didn’t see THAT one coming) … That it was George W. Bush’s fault (though I couldn’t figure out why specifically … I suppose it probably goes back to the war though) …. I thought I saw a suggestion that it was because we were drilling in ANWAR (except we aren’t … though we should be) … oh and it’s the fault of the Governor of Mississippi for not supporting the Kyoto treaty … and the fault of ‘greedy Americans’ and their SUVs.

Personally I blame John Kerry … if he had been a better Presidential Candidate he would have been elected and doesn’t everyone just KNOW that he’d have built a wall around the country to protect us from such terrible natural disasters? I also blame Germany and France for not supporting the war in Iraq … if we’d had more support from them more of our troops might have been here (though I still don’t know what they were supposed to have done to stop the hurricane) … I also blame the California Environmentalists since it was their environmental laws that caused the devastating fires in California a few years ago, and we’ve had more frequent and stronger hurricanes since those fires….

Does everyone see how completely stupid all that is? I can assign blame to whomever I want too, it doesn’t make me right or them at fault. All it does is make me one of ‘them’ … one of those people that tries to blame all the bad things that happen on the people I disagree with. One of those people that tries to politicize this natural disaster to try and gain support for my views.

No comments: