Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Soggy Rainy Days

Yup that’s what I’ve got today … soggy rainy weather with a touch of wind. Not really cold, per say, but just gray miserable weather. You know … the kind of days that just sap the energy out of you … great for sleeping, not really good for getting anything productive done. Or maybe curling up in a comfy recliner in front of a small fire and reading a good book with a cup of coffee or cocoa.

I, however, am doing none of the above … rather I’m sitting at the office banging my head on my desk trying to figure out what the problem is with certain pieces of equipment that have suddenly started acting up today. In short … it’s a day of chasing problems and not really getting anything done. And to make it more fun … the problems are intermittent so it can take some time to figure out if something ‘fixed’ it or if it’s just behaving for the moment.

As for prep work on my Novel in a Month for November I’m slowly starting to put together my writing soundtrack. My plan for ‘writing time’ this time is to drop in lengthy playlist from my music library, put headphones on, and write … not paying attention to time or reality for hours on end. Just me, my music, and the words in my head … or at least the words that are hopefully in my head.

To this end I’m going through my music libraries and sifting through to find not only the tunes that I like, but also the tunes that I think will enhance the ‘mood’ of various parts of the novel that I intend to write … kind of like setting the soundtrack for a movie that’s not written yet of course, but to a certain degree I’m hoping that the music will maybe help me keep the plot on the course that I want it to take rather than winding all over the place like my plot in January did.

I know, I know … with 15 days to go till the starting gun on Nov 1st you are all going to get tired of hearing the day to day prep work I’m doing on my novel …

Maybe tomorrow I’ll go sifting through the news and see if I can find some story or rant worth writing ….

No comments: