Thursday, February 28, 2008

Boring, but important.

In talking to a co-worker while flipping through the news I mentioned that I was looking for some political info to talk about on my blog ... and they asked me 'why would you want to talk about politics ... it's boring.'

I just sighed and shook my head. If someone in the middle of their life hasn't figured out why people talk about politics I'm not sure I can explain it. I look at the news and I just shake my head ... finding anything about the issues can be a major undertaking ... but want to know the latest on Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton, or the most recent episode of American Idol and you can find it and a littany of other celeberty or sports news.

The latest NBA brawl will likely get more play time than a candidate talking about the issues .... but put a hint of a scandal in it and the news media will be falling all over itself to get the candidates responces to that.

A lot of people, or at least it seems at times that it's a lot, find that politics is just too boring to pay attention to. Frankly the world could fall to pieces around them and as long as they got their weekly dose of 'Survivor: New York Subway' they'd be perfectly content. Most of the time it seems like a bomb could drop on down town Detroit and most people would be more upset about the fact that 'American Idol' was interupted than what happened. (yes I know I'm most likely exagerating there ... or at the least I'd like to think that I am)

And yet ... who wins American Idol will have no bearing on the lives of ... probably 99% of the people out there. (Aside from possibly bet pay offs) while what is going on in their state, and federal government, and in the world as a whole ... in short 'politics' ... will effect pretty much 100% of those lives in some form ... be it taxes, employment, medical care, retirement, education, money .... even potentially what you can see on TV.

And yet, politics is 'boring' ... people actively avoid learning about what's going on because they would rather be entertained than informed. Prefering to base their decisions off of 30 second sound bites or which candidate looks better in their commercial. Never giving a thought to the fact that ... ultimately ... the people that they put into power with their votes .... the laws that they pass on the ballot .... every vote that they cast .... is going to effect them ... and their children.

And we wonder why more and more people are looking to the government for the answers .... oh I don't want to worry about how I'm going to afford retirement I'll just live off my Social Security .... man I need better medical coverage the government should pass a federal health care plan to take care of that ....

In a speech at Vanderbilt University, in May 1963, John F. Kennedy said, "The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all."

Today, just 45 years later, I'd wager it's a good deal more than one voter that walks into the polling place ignorant of the issues and the consequences that will lay before him on the ballot ....

because politics is boring .... the way the politicians like it.

No comments: