Thursday, April 16, 2009

The day after

Well ... tax day is come and gone again. Hope everyone enjoyed their chance to write out a check and pay the government for their continued incompetence. Yesterday's rant was perhaps a bit cut short, but a power outage at the office really cut into my day, so I didn't get a chance to cover some of the things I wanted to. We're going to move forward though and discuss some of the comments I've heard this morning regarding the TEA parties yesterday.

"It's anti-government ... promoted by the right wing conservative Network Fox News ..." - CNN reporter Susan Roesgen

Now, I'd be willing to bet that had it been a Liberal anti-war protests then it would have been a 'gathering of concerned citizens protesting the atrocities of our military.' without any mention of 'liberal' or 'left wing' labels. But since it is a group of American citizens protesting the taxes that our government places on them then they are 'anti-government' and the protests are organized by the 'right wing conservative network.'

Where in protesting taxes is anyone saying that there shouldn't be a government? Yes, many are saying that there is 'too much government' sure, but that doesn't mean that we are 'anti-government' ... there is a vast world of difference between those two points of view.

Also, yes, there are a large majority of the protesters that are conservative in their views, but not all are 'right wing' and most of them would not realistically be considered 'extremists' by a long shot. Many are Libertarian or 'centralist' in their views and simply believe that they should be allowed to keep what they work hard to earn without fear of the government stepping in to take from them in order to give to someone else.

And no, she's not the only reporter that did this or will do it today, she just happens to be the one that I heard a sound bite of this morning on the way to work. ACORN (the far left 'community' organization that was under investigation for registering dead people to vote) said on the 14th that 'these protests are organized by a small group of fringe radicals dedicated to saying no.' And I'd be willing to bet that I can find similar quotes in the NY Times, LA Times, AJC, and probably on most of the national news networks.

Now, however, I want to move on to a bigger figure in this country and some of his statements yesterday. Specifically President Obama and his statement that "government that is working to create jobs and opportunity for them, rather than simply giving more and more to those at the very top..."

Wait a sec ... he didn't really say 'give' there did he?

I work for my paycheck .... and let me tell you it is a rare week that I only work 40 hours. And last time I looked at my paycheck the government hadn't given me any part of it ... in fact they had taken a pretty good chunk OUT of it. And you know what ... that's the same for everyone that works here ... including the 'rich' business owner.

I don't want the government creating jobs .... I want private industry creating jobs ... I don't want the government to take my bosses wealth to give to me (or anyone else) because if I want to earn more and succeed and I am successful I don't want them taking MY income to spread it around either.

I don't want the government to make everyone 'equal' by tearing down those at the top to make everyone equally poor ... I want the government to stay out of the way and let the achievers achieve and succeed and prosper so that the people that they employ and support through their success prosper with them.

I am not fortunate ... I did not come by anything I have from an unexpected source ... I've worked for every dime, every game, every TV in my house. I've made some mistakes, certainly, but I learned from them and made the adjustments that I needed to make myself more financially sound and secure. I work for what I make, and I make what I earn ... I want the government to get it's mits out of my wallet and let ME spend MY money as I see fit and on the things that I feel need to be supported.

It has been shown repeatedly that private charity can do more with less than the government .... and yet the government seems to feel that it is somehow their job to take that responsibility from us. Charitable donations are down DRASTICALLY since Obama took office ... why? Because he has lowered the tax deduct ability of those donations AND raised the tax rates ... so ... as a result ... government expects to have to step in and help cover that difference by expanding government assistance programs.

The only sector in this economy that is growing is Government ... but government doesn't produce anything all it does is spend money.

No comments: