Friday, May 15, 2009

Of superheroes and countries

As I was sifting through a site of collected quotations (The Quotations Page) I came across several great quotes ... filing many of them in a quote file for future use. One quote in particular caught my eye and got me thinking in a way different from the others.

"About Superman and Batman: the former is how America views itself, the latter, darker character is how the rest of the world views America." - Michael Caine

This got me to thinking about things and, in general I would say that Mr. Caine is probably right, but I'm not sure that it's a bad thing. (I'm not saying that Mr. Caine is implying that it is either though I think that some people would take it that way.)

Superman is an ideal ... an invincible shining knight protecting the world from evil and corruption and upholding 'Truth, Justice and the American Way.' Generally speaking I would say that is how many Americans like to think of the US ... though in many ways I think that the ideal of Superman is dead in this day ... but that's a ramble for another time....

Batman, however, is the detective, the gritty protector of the people who's not afraid to get his hands dirty to get the job done. He is unconcerned with how he is perceived as long as, in the end, he puts the bad guys behind bars.

And that is really the difference ... Superman is always looked up to by those that he protects, while Batman is feared or disliked by those he protects, though they would still admit that they are safer with him around.

And, yes, I would say that is probably a good description of how the world views the US ... many dislike or even 'fear' us for our ability and willingness to be proactive in defending ourselves and others, but they will generally admit that the world is a safer place as a result.

In all honesty I don't know that there ever was a time when the US was ever really Superman in the eyes of the world ... and personally while I think that Superman is certainly embodies the ideal of America ... I personally would like to see us more as Iron Man - self made, strong, and always improving ourselves. Sadly I'm not sure that the American Spirit has that kind of drive any more. Maybe these tough times will re-kindle the strength of what made us the great country that we are ....

Well ... one can dream at least.

No comments: